The German ordinal numeral
The ordinal numeral
Cauta si cumpara orice de pe Amazon:
With the help of the ordinal numeral it is possible to concieve the order of the cointed objects.
Examples: first, second, third, fourth etc.
In german the ordinal numbers are formed with the help od the ending "-te" added to the cardinal number, exceptions: eins, drei, sieben and acht which have special forms. The ordinal numbers from 20 to 99 are formed by adding the ending "-ste" and from 100 to 119 they get again the ending "-te"
- from 1 to 19 the main rule is: number + the ending "-te", exceptions: 1, 3, 7 and 8
1. erste (first) – not einste
2. zweite (second)
3. dritte (third) – not dreiste
4. vierte (fourth)
5. fünfte (fifth)
6. sechste (sixth)
7. siebte (seventh) – not siebente
8. achte (eigth) – not achtte
9. neunte (ninth)
10. zehte (tenth)
11. elfte (eleventh)
12. zwölfte (twelfth)
the same way 'till 19
- frorm 20 to 99, the rule is the following: number + the ending "-ste"
20. zwanzigste (the twentieth)
25. fünfundzwanzigste (the twenty-fifth)
31. einundreißigste (the thirty-first)
57. siebenundfünfzigste (the fifty-seventh)
99. neunundneunzigste (the ninety-ninth)
the same way all the numbers from 20 to 100
- from 100 to 119, the rule is: number + the ending "-te"
100. einhunderte (the hundreth)
101. hunderterste (the hundreth and first)
109. hundertneunte (the hundred and ninth)
113. hunderdreizehnte (the hundred and thirteenth)
118. hundertachzehnte (the hundred and eihteenth)
the same way for all ordinal numbers from 100 to 119
- the ordinal number from 119: number + ending "-ste"
120. hundertzwanzigste (the hundred twentieth)
1132. tausendhundertzweiunddreißigste (the thousand hundred thirty-second)
Good to know!
When the ordinal numeral stands between an article and a noun, the article shows the gender of the noun.
der erste Mann = the first man
die erste Frau = the first woman
das dritte Kind = the third child
When the ordinal number is not preceded by an article but it is followed by a noun, we have the following situation:
- the ordinal numeral gets the ending "-r" when it is placed before a masculine gender noun; it gets the ending "-s" before a neuter gender noun and it gets the ending "-n" when it is placed before a plural noun.
Erster Mann = first man
Erste Frau = first woman (no changes before feminine nouns)
Erstes Kind = first child
Ersten Spieler = first players